Design is a popular and a satisfying career option for the younger generation today. Design has a close relation with all disciplines be it, medicine, technology, industry, architecture, material science, engineering and any other. Apparel and textile are popular design disciplines which attract many of the youngsters as their career for future. These disciplines lend the students an opportunity for creativity. Giving exposure to the students to the different disciplines of design will help them in making the right choices for future.
The workshop has been planed in five sessions. The first one is about basic design, second one gives input in basic fashion design, third one has sustainability aspect with introduction to up-cycling/recycling, in the fourth one we have planned inputs in creating fabric through the techniques of resist dying and the last one has introduction to draped garments using ‘button masala’ technique. They could use the lehariya fabric to create draped garments.
The first workshop on Basic Design has been conducted on 20th July 2019 for the MCGS Home science students by Khatu Designs, Jaipur. It has been an enriching experience for our students as In the First session they have learnt about the following.
- Elements and principles of design
- Elements of fashion design
- Creation of mood, theme and colour boards
- Ideations for products/garments on paper through following a design process
- Learn and apply variety of techniques like patch work, coiling, macramé, braiding, knotting to create products/garments keeping in mind recycling, reusing, refashioning, up-cycling using elements of design
- Learn and apply resist dying techniques on swatches, scarves and stoles
- Learn and apply an experimental technique of button-masala to create draped garments
- Photograph, document and present the work to the community through a concept presentation and a show with music